• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A future of coders???

K

ksiva

In coming days, with the development of more advanced softwares and with doctors starting to code themselves, how will the job oppurtunities of coders be???
What are the ways a coder need to develop , so that they can outshine in this field????how can a medical coder gain prominence and stay unique amongst the other coders ???
Can a software replace the post of a medical coder???

I would be happy if you would answer for this

Alan Fishman

Excellent question. I am beginning a HIT program in NM and there does appear to be work but..... things change. The march of technology is relentless.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I think that there will always be a future for coders. I don't think that medical coding is going away. I think that it will stay. There is always changes in the medical field and with those changes, more codes.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Alicia discussed the topic of "coders being replaced by computers?" in the September 2013 Q&A Webinar. You may view the replay of this webinar, as well as all the replays from the past, when you join the CCO Club.

Alicia made the case that CAC (computer assisted coding) will help coders scan documents, highlight relevant information and pick codes. However, it will never replace the coder as the decision-maker and code approver. A CAC system will increase coder productivity which will benefit both the patient and the facility.