• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

HCC Coding

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
How many of you know what HCC coding is? I have just started the training and it is fascinating. There is not a lot of information out there on it so I thought about doing an article about it. Thought I would check in with you and see how much knowledge is out there.o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
After checking www.all-acronyms.com, I think HCC means Healthcare Center, but I have no idea how HCC coding differs from the medical coding that CPC coders do. I'd like to know more!

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
So you got me curious too and I did a Google search on HCC coding. Very interesting. Maybe HCC coding will be part of certification exams soon....or is it already?

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I am off to bed but I wanted to let you know I finished my first week of HCC training. It was exhausting, exciting, and a tad bit overwhelming. Good news though, I got a 100% on my very first audit. Quality is more important then Quantity. They want a 90% accuracy. So I took it slow and it paid off. That is NOT like me people. I am rather a speedy Gonzales.
My husband took me to the Rice & Wok for supper and it was nice to give my brain a break.
I will give you more info on HCC in my next post.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carmen

Carmen Butler, CPC
I admired your energy and enthusiasm...I also want information on HCC.........By the way, I am a Rice and Wok eater...mmmmm

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
My first week went great. What I have learned is that there are so many aspects to coding. Coders can be so unique. The career is never going to get boring!!!! Will work on getting more information out to you guys soon.

Sylvia Ann Wiegand

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I can't wait to hear what you have to say!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I actually worked for a company as a contractor for almost 5 months doing HCC coding and I loved it. I hope that I can find a job doing this type of coding as a remote coder. I know that I am going to need a little more experience before I get to that goal of being a remote coder.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
After checking www.all-acronyms.com, I think HCC means Healthcare Center, but I have no idea how HCC coding differs from the medical coding that CPC coders do. I'd like to know more!
I learned on the October 2012 Q & A Webinar that HCC stands for Hierarchical Condition Category. Alicia explained about her study of this type of coding. Also, on the AAPC forum there are some good websites that explain what this is. http://www.aapc.com/memberarea/forums/showthread.php?t=11467

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I just got my AAPC newsletter. They are offering a Webinar on this subject. It's called HCC Coding and Documentation: A Coder's View. The Webinar is scheduled for Wed. January 23. (I will try to post the link so you can see the times based on time zones.)
You do not have to be an AAPC member to attend. It's not free. But if you are a member its considerably less. It offers 2 CEU's.

I just thought I'd let you know in case anyone here is interested in this field of coding. I've minimal knowledge of coding myself. I'm a third the way through terminology before I start coding courses. But I remember Alicia discussing this topic in a past webinar and found it very interesting. So I thought I'd pass it on. :)

http://www.aapc.com/onlinestore/audioconference.aspx?title=HCC Coding and Documentation: A Coder's View

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I would like to attend this webinar, but, unfortunately, I will be working by then and I will not be available during the hours they set aside. I would just have to wait until the webinar is ready after the live event.

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
I just got my AAPC newsletter. They are offering a Webinar on this subject. It's called HCC Coding and Documentation: A Coder's View. The Webinar is scheduled for Wed. January 23. (I will try to post the link so you can see the times based on time zones.)
You do not have to be an AAPC member to attend. It's not free. But if you are a member its considerably less. It offers 2 CEU's.

I just thought I'd let you know in case anyone here is interested in this field of coding. I've minimal knowledge of coding myself. I'm a third the way through terminology before I start coding courses. But I remember Alicia discussing this topic in a past webinar and found it very interesting. So I thought I'd pass it on. :)

http://www.aapc.com/onlinestore/audioconference.aspx?title=HCC Coding and Documentation: A Coder's View
Thank you for the information Luna. I was interested as well and will be sure to check out the link and schedule. Happy Coding!

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
My first week went great. What I have learned is that there are so many aspects to coding. Coders can be so unique. The career is never going to get boring!!!! Will work on getting more information out to you guys soon.
Happy New Year Alicia! Now that a little time has passed since you began the course can you give us your thoughts? I am very interested to know what the differences are, and where you found information about the classes you took.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
That is a great link Luna. Yes Michele, I can give you more information. I will work on it this weekend. The course I took was through the employer and it was intense but I learned a ton of information. It was awesome. I love learning!

Sparky

I love to learn as well and this discussion was very interesting. So I started to do some research and found out that the CMS-HCC was implemented in 2004. I included a brief paragraph or two from the CMS website on this......

The CMS hierarchical condition categories (CMS-HCC) model, implemented in 2004, adjusts Medicare capitation payments to Medicare Advantage health care plans for the health expenditure risk of their enrollees. Its intended use is to pay plans appropriately for their expected relative costs. For example, MA plans that disproportionately enroll the healthy are
paid less than they would have been if they had enrolled beneficiaries with the average risk profile, while MA plans that care for the sickest patients are paid proportionately more than if they had enrolled beneficiaries with the average risk profile.

Although this Affordable Care Act legislative mandate for an evaluation of the CMS-HCC risk adjustment model is new, the evaluation process is well established. CMS conducts comprehensive evaluations of its CMS-HCC model on a regular basis, including evaluating the model on the dimensions specified in the Affordable Care Act.

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
I love to learn as well and this discussion was very interesting. So I started to do some research and found out that the CMS-HCC was implemented in 2004. I included a brief paragraph or two from the CMS website on this......

The CMS hierarchical condition categories (CMS-HCC) model, implemented in 2004, adjusts Medicare capitation payments to Medicare Advantage health care plans for the health expenditure risk of their enrollees. Its intended use is to pay plans appropriately for their expected relative costs. For example, MA plans that disproportionately enroll the healthy are
paid less than they would have been if they had enrolled beneficiaries with the average risk profile, while MA plans that care for the sickest patients are paid proportionately more than if they had enrolled beneficiaries with the average risk profile.

Although this Affordable Care Act legislative mandate for an evaluation of the CMS-HCC risk adjustment model is new, the evaluation process is well established. CMS conducts comprehensive evaluations of its CMS-HCC model on a regular basis, including evaluating the model on the dimensions specified in the Affordable Care Act.
WOW - thank you Sparky! Great Info!

Sparky

Thank you Michele and Carolyn, I always share valuable information with valuable colleagues.:)

rstrat

I'm looking for help on better understanding HCC coding for a client project. If anyone would be willing to participate in a 30 minute interview by phone on HCC coding, please contact me. We are offering $50 for the interview. Thank you so much!