• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A How do you get that first job to get your experience?

I have finished my education and graduated with a 4.0. Passed my CPC and still I can't get anyone to give me a chance. I have never worked in the medical field and I am sure that is part of my problem, but I have all the credentials and certifications. I have been career INdorsed by the college and the state I live in. I have done tons of mock interviews and everyone has said that they can't understand it either. I don't apply to jobs that I don't think I could prove myself to do the job. Please help!!!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Antoinette, sorry to see that is difficult for you to find that first job. If you haven't already, be sure to attend your local AAPC chapter meetings and get to know the people there. Sometimes at my chapter meetings there are job opening announcements. It's often who you know not what you know that gets you the job, in these times, at least. You could also apply for a receptionist job or investigate the Externships through AAPC. People say to keep trying... that is important. I hope your luck improves real soon!

Ellen

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
Antoinette, Ruth is so right about contacts with working people. I will face the same situation when I finish my AHIMA coursework, but I am committing to myself that I will seek out chapter members at meetings and then follow up with contacts wherever they suggest I look. People who have a job can be approached by a person seeking a job if we ask for just a few minutes of face to face time, such as a cup of coffee. If we show that we are focused and committed to getting a job, we will gain information and potentially more contacts, even specific job opportunities. I think the numbers of people looking for work make the face to face method the surest way to actually break into the field. Good luck to all of us.