• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

I finally passed!!!!!

Dobylady

Blitzer
It took me 3x but PRAISE be to GOD.....he helped me pass! I have a question that I welcome any advice on. Code 99000 we never get payment for. What can we do here at my office to get payment for this? Our nurses and Dr do handle, prepare and label the lab sample to be picked up by the carrier, so how do they get paid for this when the insurance carriers basically say you can charge for it? We are outpatient pediatrics. I have researched and read online....still no one can give an answer. Its basically....you dont get paid....or you file it and (still dont get paid) and then write it off. Are there any modifiers that would help? Thank you..Brandy Blue-Smith

Rosetta D

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
Congrats!!!! 3rd time a charm!!!! yay to you!!!!!

Dobylady

Blitzer
Sure did Carolyn.......I did it so many times and then did it some more. Good way to start 2013! Thanks guys for the encouragement!!!

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you! And I love your dedication as coder! You announce the passing of your exam and then go straight to wanting to solve a coding situation!!! Yes, that's dedication!!!

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Congratulations Brandy!!!

Regarding your 99000 question. Here is what an article in SuperCoder says (I highly reccomend subscribing to SuperCoder to become your own consultant <g>)

The AMA in CPT Assistant Feb. 1999 noted, 99000 -is intended to be reported when the physician incurs costs to handle and/or transport a specimen to the laboratory (e.g., via messenger service). If the specimen is picked up by laboratory staff at no additional cost to the physician, it would not be appropriate to report CPT code 99000.-
Don't miss: In CPT Assistant October 1999, the AMA did a 180, retracting the above opinion and clarifying 99000's use. While using 99000 for incurring a transport cost is certainly a correct statement, -many of our readers pointed out a second use of this code that is also correct, and reflects the most typical use. Code 99000 is also intended to reflect the work involved in the preparation of a specimen prior to sending it to the laboratory. Typical work involved in this preparation may include:
- centrifuging a specimen
- separating serum
- labeling tubes
- packing the specimens for transport
- filling out lab forms and
- supplying necessary insurance information and other documentation.-

Example: For a heel stick in the office, a physician should report 36416 (Collection of capillary blood specimen [e.g., finger, heel, ear stick]). -In addition, code 99000 should be reported when the physician's office centrifuges the specimen, separates the serum and labels, and packages the specimens for transport to the laboratory,- according to CPT's clarification comment.

Do Not Report 99000 to Medicare Carrier
Medicare considers 99000 a bundled service and makes no separate payment for it. Some commercial payers may pay for the service.

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
It took me 3x but PRAISE be to GOD.....he helped me pass! I have a question that I welcome any advice on. Code 99000 we never get payment for. What can we do here at my office to get payment for this? Our nurses and Dr do handle, prepare and label the lab sample to be picked up by the carrier, so how do they get paid for this when the insurance carriers basically say you can charge for it? We are outpatient pediatrics. I have researched and read online....still no one can give an answer. Its basically....you dont get paid....or you file it and (still dont get paid) and then write it off. Are there any modifiers that would help? Thank you..Brandy Blue-Smith
Congrats to you Brandy! So happy you have your exam in your rear view mirror now.
Thank you for asking the coding question, and thank you for answering it Laureen - I always learn something new here :D

Dobylady

Blitzer
Thank YOU SO MUCH Laureen!!! Guess Im just a little confused that most all carriers will not pay this at all. So, basically it seems that all labor, nurse time, prep time and labeling is all free. Another concern of mine is that one carrier said this beside the reason 99000 was denied....."Coding practice utilized by this Participating Provider is inconsistent with current coding protocol"? So, we should not even use this code? What is the alternative? Thank you so much for taking time LAUREEN to answer my question. Your coding bitz was a LIFESAVER, and i am certainly going to look into SuperCoder. Is there a charge to join? Thank you to all above on your support. LOVE THIS WEBSITE

Dobylady

Blitzer
Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you! And I love your dedication as coder! You announce the passing of your exam and then go straight to wanting to solve a coding situation!!! Yes, that's dedication!!!
Thank you Theresa...I appreciate it. Ive always been called a work horse....guess I was raised like that, but Ive always been kinda OCD...the girls at the office always tell me Im OCD. LOL

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
LOL! That's so funny that you mention OCD because while the outgoing office manager was working with me today we had the OCD discussion. She told me that her sister always gives her a hard time for being so OCD and I told her mine does too. And then I told her what I tell my sister: I am not OCD, I just have supreme organizational skills!!!!!! She loved it and said now she can't wait for the next time her sister tells her she's OCD so she can tell her that too!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
There is a charge for SuperCoder but if you let them know you are from CCO I believe there is a discount. Laureen has been working hard with SuperCoder to get our clients extra perks. Do you take advantage of the CCO Club? If so Laureen spoke about it on the past couple webinars. This Thursday is the next webinar.

Laureen is OCD and I am so NOT. I am more ADD. If I am not doing two things at once I am sleeping. Two of my children have it and I think they got it from me.

I am thrilled you like the website. Laureen has worked hard with her team to keep it user friendly and full of needed information.

Last, welcome to the world of the certified coder, congrats on passing.

Dobylady

Blitzer
LOL! That's so funny that you mention OCD because while the outgoing office manager was working with me today we had the OCD discussion. She told me that her sister always gives her a hard time for being so OCD andnd said now she can't wait for the next time her sister tells her she's OCD so she can tell her that too!
...............................Thats soooo funny!! I love that!! I will accept being OCD....cause it means I care!! Ohhhh, well there are worse things in life, right...LOL...thanks, you guys are great!!

Dobylady

Blitzer
There is a charge for SuperCoder but if you let them know you are from CCO I believe there is a discount. Laureen has been working hard with SuperCoder to get our clients extra perks. Do you take advantage of the CCO Club? If so Laureen spoke about it on the past couple webinars. This Thursday is the next webinar.

Laureen is OCD and I am so NOT. I am more ADD. If I am not doing two things at once I am sleeping. Two of my children have it and I think they got it from me.

I am thrilled you like the website. Laureen has worked hard with her team to keep it user friendly and full of needed information.

Last, welcome to the world of the certified coder, congrats on passing.
...........WOW Alicia, thank you for your info on CCO Club...didnt know. Do I need to pay to join? I appreciate all your wisdom. I welcome every bit. Im so very new...Im the SPONGE soaking it all up.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I am so not OCD, I let things go. However I have gone back to the stove more then once to see if I turned it off. I consider this as being so overly distracted. My brain doesn't always keep up with what I do.

Dobylady

Blitzer
Its me again to question the EXPERTS out there. Since I am so new with coding and now I am doing some billing as well I need advice. I received a fee schedule today that I had requested from BCBS so we can start charging patients with HIGH deductibles before they leave our office. I have a question as far as adjustments go?? When we charge a patient the allowed amount and they pay less than that do we adjust off the remaining amount? I have assumed we cant charge the patient for the remaining amount due to the contract. Am I correct or can we charge the patient if the insurance pays less than the allowed amount? I know this may be a dumb question but I have and EXCUSE...Im NEW.....LOL:D:)
:confused:

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Its me again to question the EXPERTS out there. Since I am so new with coding and now I am doing some billing as well I need advice. I received a fee schedule today that I had requested from BCBS so we can start charging patients with HIGH deductibles before they leave our office. I have a question as far as adjustments go?? When we charge a patient the allowed amount and they pay less than that do we adjust off the remaining amount? I have assumed we cant charge the patient for the remaining amount due to the contract. Am I correct or can we charge the patient if the insurance pays less than the allowed amount? I know this may be a dumb question but I have and EXCUSE...Im NEW.....LOL:D:)
:confused:
This might be a good question to post in the Medical Coding and Reimbursement Discussion forum. That way those interested in this topic and the answer are more likely to find it there. And I don't think its a dumb question...but then I'm new too. :D