• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Laureen's e-book

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I just finished reading Laureen's newly published e-book A Career in Medical Coding and found it very informative.
( http://www.amazon.com/Career-Medical-Coding-ebook/dp/B00BEZ00ZA/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361221240&sr=1-1&keywords=Career+in+medical+coding )

What I really liked most were the many interviews with actual coders in almost every chapter. This book is good for those who wonder if coding is for them as well as for those who have already chosen coding as a career option but may not have much experience in it yet. That is where I find myself. I know I've already "chosen" it but what is the best route for getting educated ? What direction am I hoping to go with it? Do I want to pursue a degree? Certification? Both? Which one first????

Right off the bat I loved chapter 2. A Day in the Life of a Coder. This chapter includes interview with several coders who share the type of coding they do and what a "typical" day for them may be like. What is the environment in which they work? Are there slow periods or "cycles" to the work? Etc.

This gem is loaded with tips on education and getting that job as well.

Thank you Laureen for putting it all together. Thanks too for all who helped you and gave of their time to share their experiences with us.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I would love to get this e-book, but, unfortunately, it is made for a Kindle and I have a B&N Nook.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I think the Kindle app for desktop is free and you can read it from there. That is where I used to read my Kindle books until I got my Kindle.

kayal

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
I don't have a Kindle or Nook, either, but I would like to read Laureen's book, too. Maybe CCO can make it available to order as one of their online products so those with only a laptop or desktop could order it and read it.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Where do you go to get the Kindle app for desktop?
Go to Amazon and their Kindle app page. You don't have to own a Kindle to read Kindle books. They have free reading apps for computers, iPad, iPhone, etc.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=sv_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Download the app. Set it up. Then you are set to purchase Kindle books and they will automatically be delivered to your Kindle reading app.

I am editing to add: You may have to set up an Amazon account for managing your Kindle book purchases. It's simple enough to do and then another whole world of reading and information access opens up for you. :) I like that you can even sync your Kindle purchases on multiple devices that you have the Kindle app on. Also, you have the option of reading from the "cloud" without having to actually download the book you purchased to your computer. Lots of options.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Thank you, Luna, for the Kindle app information. I will have to try it. Maybe I can buy a Kindle and download books that is for Kindle only and use the Nook for other books.

kayal

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Success!! I just downloaded the Amazon Kindle app to my PC as Luna instructed and I purchased Laureen's ebook!! Looking forward to reading it!! Thanks, Luna.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I love the kindle app too. I highlighted when reading through the first time. I am now reading it a second and find myself highlighting a few more things and adding notes. You'll have fun with your kindle features.
For instance, you can use your cursor to select a section. Then right click and a small window pops up that gives you options to highlight, add a note, or copy. And under "more" you can look the selected word up in a dictionary. You can Google or Wikipedia the selected word or phrase. You can search the the rest of the book for the selected word or phrase.....lots you can take advantage of with e-books. I just discovered today that under "more" you can even "report content error".

Kathy

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
I have to say Luna - you are so on top of things! I didn't know about the book. I have a kindle and I am looking forward to checking on the book today. So glad you share all of your info! :)

Sparky

Luna, thank you for the sharing and letting us know about the book. I purchased Laureen's book over the weekend. The book was well written with helpful information and tips. Well done Laureen!!