• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Mind over Medicine

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Have I got a book to recommend for anyone who wants to stay healthy or become healthy, which I hope includes all of you!

One of the hazards of working as a medical coder, and this is just my opinion, is that you are thinking about disease much of your time, when down deep I think people should be thinking about wellness! So how do you protect yourself and fill yourself with "wellness" energy?

I used to be a holistic health coach, and I still "work" at that for friends and family. One of the things I learned while training for that career was to purposely draw a mental-wall-of-protection to avoid taking on the illnesses of your clients, while meanwhile, setting the intention to help the client. Even med students have this problem of thinking they have the very diseases they are studying. There is no code for it (I checked!) but it is referred to as "medstudentitis". My point is that those working in the healthcare field need to protect themselves from too much thinking about disease.

There is hope! It turns out that mind is instrumental in being well. Doctors are crucial for repairing traumatic injuries such as a broken bone, hemorrhaging, and the like, that is for sure. However, the mind of the patient plays a crucial role in healing in injuries and diseases.

Do yourself a favor, and check out "Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself" by Lissa Rankin, M.D. It is a New York Times Bestseller, an enlightening read, and full of self-care tips. Give yourself new perspectives in how you can reach your best health.

There is also a website: mindovermedicinebook.com

Be well!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thank you Ruth. This is an excellent idea for a book to read. Not only are coders reading about diseases all day but we also suffer from coders spread. Big Butt syndrome is what some call it. Sitting all day is not healthy.

joseyj62114

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
CCO Practicoder
Have I got a book to recommend for anyone who wants to stay healthy or become healthy, which I hope includes all of you!

One of the hazards of working as a medical coder, and this is just my opinion, is that you are thinking about disease much of your time, when down deep I think people should be thinking about wellness! So how do you protect yourself and fill yourself with "wellness" energy?

I used to be a holistic health coach, and I still "work" at that for friends and family. One of the things I learned while training for that career was to purposely draw a mental-wall-of-protection to avoid taking on the illnesses of your clients, while meanwhile, setting the intention to help the client. Even med students have this problem of thinking they have the very diseases they are studying. There is no code for it (I checked!) but it is referred to as "medstudentitis". My point is that those working in the healthcare field need to protect themselves from too much thinking about disease.

There is hope! It turns out that mind is instrumental in being well. Doctors are crucial for repairing traumatic injuries such as a broken bone, hemorrhaging, and the like, that is for sure. However, the mind of the patient plays a crucial role in healing in injuries and diseases.

Do yourself a favor, and check out "Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself" by Lissa Rankin, M.D. It is a New York Times Bestseller, an enlightening read, and full of self-care tips. Give yourself new perspectives in how you can reach your best health.

There is also a website: mindovermedicinebook.com

Be well!

joseyj62114

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-10-CM Student
CCO Practicoder
Hi Ruth I think this is a great suggestion! I will look into this. Thank you.

Anne

Anne's Pics
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Hi Ruth, I'm going to be checking this out myself. I'm trying to get myself off some medication the doctors have me on for chronic illnesses ..maybe this will help?

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Anne,
Lissa Rankin, M.D., relates her own story, discusses the research into spontaneous healing and goes into the miraculous effectiveness of the placebo. She encourages the reader to write their own "prescription" using meditation, nutrients, sleep, positive thoughts, and generally bringing balance into one's life. If the reader is open to a change of perspective and making some changes in lifestyle, yes, if will definitely help. If a person tries reading this book with a closed mind and won't change anything in their lifestyle, it probably won't help at all! Personally, it has gotten me more into meditation, something I didn't see much point in doing in the past. Everyone will have a different "prescription" based on their own chief complaint.

I think you will enjoy the book and benefit from it!
Ruth