• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Out of the Blue

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
There are somethings that come up "out of the blue" and sometimes they are wonderful surprises and other times they are unwanted events.

Sept. 25th I started getting a headache. One that kind of worried me. By 5 a.m. the next morning I had my dad rush me to the hospital. "What's wrong honey?" he asked. "I have meningitis Daddy."

So in ER they did a CT scan and it was normal. Because I had meningitis back in 2004 I recognized the pain and insisted the doctor do a spinal tap. He did. Showed me the fluid and how crystal clear it was and suggested it may just be a migraine. They ran the tests on the fluid and he came back and said "you do indeed know your body and yes you have meningitis". For the next 3 days I was extremely ill and did nothing but.....I don't know a word for it where you look asleep but you don't feel asleep....your head and body are just busy with a fight you can't quite comprehend and you're constantly aware of lights and beeps and pokes and pressures but no ability to make any of it stop. Eventually my mind started coming back around and I started sitting up and then walking a little and improving. They kept me for 5 days.

I was hit hard with antibiotics. They tested for bacterial and viral and all panels came back negative. So the final diagnosis was Meningitis Aseptic. Puzzling for sure but just very glad I did not put off going in to the hospital like I did before. Getting early treatment has made a world of difference for me this time. It took me two months before I could stand up and walk last time and I had memory/confusion problems for about 2 years. I am having similar memory/confusion problems this time too but not near the severity. We'll keep hoping that the recovery continues.

Anyway, I'm here. Out of the Blue to catch up on what I've missed going on in the universe.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Luna they tested my son for meningitis when he had a headache for two days then had a seizure for no apparent reason. He has a seizure disorder but this one was different. It lasted for an hour. We were so thankful he didn't have meningitis. What a struggle you have gone through. Sometimes we suffer so we can appreciate more in life I suppose. :rolleyes:

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I hope your recovery is going well and you'll be feeling 100% soon!

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
How's it going Luna? I saw you on the webinar this past Thursday - glad you could make it.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I am doing better day by day.

I have some short-term memory problems meaning I have to review things often in the day to remember them, especially important things like appointments, medicine, conversations, etc. There are actually physical exercises involved in improving this as well as recording things or repeating them to myself. Otherwise they are forgotten entirely, leaving holes in my memory (you don't get the "aha- I remember now" chance). It also has a small affect on where things get placed in memory....kind of like a kaleidoscope. It's there but not in proper order. Something that happened yesterday is 3 days ago in memory and vice versa.

It makes life very interesting, frustrating, exhausting. I am trying to have good humor though and remain dedicated to doing the exercises. They do help.

I also have a speech glitch. That is expected to improve too.

I'm not going to let this discourage me though from learning medical coding. It is only going to make it more challenging. That means I'm gonna work harder for it. That hopefully means I'm going to excel at something to do with it. Hopefully.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You have my admiration. :)

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Whoot! Whoot! I am enrolled now in MTA/PBC. I'm excited and can't wait to get the materials. I glanced at a few of the online provisions tonight. Tomorrow though I will do the serious look through and begin.

Not sure if it means I'll be changing my current member status as "Luna" to my enrolled name (Patricia) or not. I registered here under my nickname "Luna" without thinking I might not get to keep that status as a student. Hopefully I can but certainly not the end of the world if I can't.

I read your article on Medical Coding- Do I Have What It Takes? (http://networkedblogs.com/DMExj) I think I'm up for the challenges. :) It looks like its more than just having skill. It has as much to do with head knowledge as it does with owning certain character attributes as well.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Congratulations and welcome aboard! If you want to change your forum user name just email https://www.cco.us/cco-helpdesk-request/ and we can do that for you. Also request access to the private forums now that you are official!